The Ural Federal University is offering free online course on Engineering Mechanics. Students will be introduced to mathematical modeling of engineering designs, standard machines, and mechanisms using 2D and 3D diagrams. The course begins with statics, which is the science of forces.
In this nine-week course, applicants will learn about statics through real life engineering examples. Engage with the theory to grasp the full understanding of simple machines and complex mathematical models. This course will start on December 4, 2017.
User Review( votes)
Course At A Glance
Length: 9 weeks
Effort: 4-5 hours pw
Institution: Ural Federal University and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Session: Course Starts on December 4, 2017
UrFU is the oldest University in the Ural region. It was opened in Ekaterinburg in 1920. It is one of the largest higher educational institutions in Russia bringing together fundamental education and innovative approach towards the challenges of modern times.
About This Course
Are you interested in improving your mechanics or introducing yourself to the subject all together? Join our unique course, devised by the Ural Federal University. Through our innovative approach, you will receive the basic traditional material by engaging in practically-oriented tasks and learn the strictly theoretical mathematical analysis of basic concepts.
Why Take This Course?
Students will be introduced to mathematical modeling of engineering designs, standard machines, and mechanisms using 2D and 3D diagrams. The course begins with statics, which is the science of forces.
- Equability conditions of 2D and 3D systems of forces
- Equilibrium conditions for a solid body and a system of solid bodies
- Equivalent transformation rules for systems of forces
- How to take into account the laws of sliding friction and rolling friction
- Ways to define centers of gravity of bodies
Svetlana A. Berestova
Doctor of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, Head of Academic Department of Theoretical Mechanics at Ural Federal University (Ekaterinburg, Russia).
Euigene A. Mityushov
Doctor of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, Professor of Academic Department of Theoretical Mechanics at Ural Federal University (Ekaterinburg, Russia).
Natalia E. Misyura
Candidate of Physical and Mathematical Sciences postgraduate degree, Senior Lecturer of Academic Department of Theoretical Mechanics at Ural Federal University (Ekaterinburg, Russia).
Learners should know secondary school mathematics, as well as the “Mechanics” section from Physics. They should have a developed spatial awareness and be able to use a scientific calculator.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)