The University of Leeds is offering free online course on Discovering Science: Medicinal Chemistry. The course is suitable for anyone with a general interest in chemistry; no previous knowledge or experience is required.
In this two week course, applicants will explore how modern imaging techniques diagnose problems quickly and safely, and how diseases which may not previously have been picked up are identified. This course will start on
User Review( votes)
Course At Glance
Length: 2 weeks
Effort: 5 hours/week
Subject: Discovering Science: Medicinal Chemistry
Institution: University of Leeds and Future learn
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Course starts on
As one of the UK’s largest research-based universities, the University of Leeds is a member of the prestigious Russell Group and a centre of excellence for teaching.
About This Course
Discover how chemotherapy has evolved, and some of the breakthroughs and developments chemists have made in the fight against cancer over the last 10 years.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts in English. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to…
- Identify how chemotherapy works in targeting cancer cells and explain the benefits of molecular targeted therapeutics.
- Investigate recent developments, and explore potential future developments, in the treatment of cancer.
- Identify four main medical imaging techniques and the use of contrast agents.
- Develop an awareness of ethical issues related to diagnostic imaging.
The course is suitable for anyone with a general interest in chemistry; no previous knowledge or experience is required.
If you are working in the field of science and would like to practice and improve your science writing skills, this course is designed to support you as a professional. By completing all aspects of the course you will have achieved 14 hours of CPD time.
If you intend to complete the Discovering Science program, it is recommended that you complete Discovering Science: Science Writing before starting this course; however this course can still be studied independently.
I’m from Holmfirth in Yorkshire. I’m a Professor at the University of Leeds. I’m Director of Student Education for Chemistry and research on cancer & evolution.
Teaching Fellow at the University of Leeds. Completed my PhD in metal complex synthesis and I am now focussed on pedagogic research and laboratory skills.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, students will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s)).