Applications are open for GIS Scholarship Competition at Brock University in Canada. The sponsorship will help support a brock undergraduate or graduate student who is currently enrolled, dedicated and high achieving to continue their studies in GIS and consider it as a post-graduation career option.
The Brock University is one of Canada’s top post-secondary institutions. Located in historic Niagara region, Brock offers all the benefits of a young and modern university in a safe, community-minded city with beautiful natural surroundings.
User Review( votes)
Application Deadline: November 6, 2017
Course Level: award is available to pursue undergraduate or graduate programme.
Study Subject: The project focuses on a major GIS project undertaken as part of a course assignment, or it can be an independent project that the student developed on their own. The project must apply geographic analyses to an application using ArcGIS technology, such as spatial query, buffering, statistical mapping, automation using Python, etc.
Award: the program also includes $50,000 in Esri software, books and training deliverables.
Nationality: Canadian students
Number of Awards: Number of Awards not given.
The award can be taken in the Canada
Eligible Countries: Canadian students are eligible to apply.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must have a previous year degree.
- Current Brock undergraduate or graduate student with a career ambition in GIS
- Minimum B+ major average
- Significant evidence of coursework or postgraduate research using Esri technology
English Language Requirements: Applicants must meet the universities’ language requirements.
- A one-time payment of $1,000
- A perpetual license of Esri’s ArcGIS software, for education and research use:
- ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced
- ArcGIS for Desktop Extensions: ArcGIS Spatial Analyst, ArcGIS 3D Analyst, ArcGIS Geostatistical Analyst, ArcGIS Network Analyst, and ArcGIS Publisher
- One-year ArcGIS Online Organization Plan (includes 100 service credits and 1 named user)
- One year of complimentary maintenance (provides software updates, technical support and unlimited access to e-learning courses through the Esri Training site)
- ArcGIS Pro (Named User license for one year, can be converted to Single Use after)
- A one-year ArcGIS Developer Profession subscription:
- Level 0 ArcGIS Online Developer Deployment subscription (“developer account”)
- AppStudio Standard
- ArcGIS Online Organizational (sandbox, three Level 1 and two Level 2 Name Users)
- ArcGIS Enterprise with extensions
- Esri Press Publications including:
- Python Scripting for ArcGIS
- Getting to Know Web GIS, 2nd Edition
- Esri Guide to GIS Analysis, Volume 3
- Two standard instructor-led training courses offered by Esri Canada (to be taken in 2018)
- Registration for one 2018 Esri Canada User Conference
- Eligible to apply for the 2018 Esri Young Scholar Award
- Eligible to apply for the Esri Canada Associate GIS Professional Program, in their year of graduation.
Students will be competing for the opportunity by presenting their proposals on GIS Day, Wednesday, Nov. 15.
How to Apply:
Preparation of a 10-minute presentation on an intended project of your choice (using PowerPoint; or similar program). The presentation will be delivered on November 15, 2017, in the Map, Data & GIS Library, from 12 noon to 2 pm.
The presentation should include:
- A statement about the project topic (i.e., why the topic is important?)
- Data intended to be used in the project
- Data sources (i.e., MDG Library; Scholars GeoPortal; Open Data, etc.)
- Geospatial data analyses to be used
- Intended project deliverables
- Why you qualify to be the recipient of the award
An outline of your project (250 words) and a current resume must be submitted electronically, by November 6, 2017, to the Chair of the Review Committee, Colleen Beard, and must include the following details:
- Full Name
- Brock ID Number
- Department name
- Degree program
- Evidence of a B+ major average
- Evidence of coursework and/or postgraduate research using Esri technology
- Brock e-mail address
- Submissions will be reviewed by the Committee and the successful candidate will be announced in January 2018.