The Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) or Compugen Ltd. (CGEn) has announced the HostSeq Postdoctoral Fellowships program for the academic year 2022/2023.
The CGEn HostSeq/CIHR Joint Postdoctoral Fellowship Program will support highly-qualified postdoctoral trainees whose research involves the study of human genetics and the challenges of COVID-19 disease in Canada using bioinformatic approaches. Successful applicants to the fellowship program must apply for access to and use CGEn’s host genome sequencing (HostSeq) Databank to support their postdoctoral research project.
Amazing opportunity to get financial assistance in Canada or Israel.
User Review( votes)
The Canadian Institutes of Health Research is the principal federal agency responsible for funding health and medical research in Canada. It is the successor to the Medical Research Council of Canada. It aims to create new health knowledge and translate that knowledge from the research setting into real-world applications. CIHR supports more than 13,000 researchers and trainees as part of the federal government’s investment in health research. Compugen Ltd. is a clinical-stage publicly traded predictive drug discovery and Development Company headquartered in Israel. Compugen was established as a computational drug discovery service provider in 1993. It had arrangements with big pharma such as Novartis AG, Abbot Laboratories, and Pfizer Inc.
Why would you like to study at the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) or Compugen Ltd. (CGEn)? It is an independent agency accountable to Parliament through the Minister of Health. Their mission is to create new scientific knowledge and to enable its translation into improved health, more effective health services and products, and a strengthened Canadian health care system. Compugen is a clinical-stage drug discovery and development company utilizing a broadly applicable, predictive computational discovery platform to identify novel drug targets and new biological pathways and develop therapeutics in cancer immunotherapy.
Application Deadline: Applications must be received by November 30, 2022.
- University or Organization: The Canadian Institutes of Health Research or Compugen Ltd. (CGEn)
- Department: NA
- Course Level: Postdoctoral
- Award: $1,120,000
- Number of Awards: 16
- Access Mode: Online
- Nationality: Domestic and international
- The award can be taken in Canada or Israel
- Eligible Countries: Applicants from a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or a citizen of another country.
- Eligible Course or Subjects: The scholarship will be awarded in any subject offered by the university
- Eligibility Criteria: To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the following criteria:
- The Nominated Principal Applicant (NPA) must be a postdoctoral trainee at the same Canadian Institution as their primary supervisor by the funding start date and meet the minimum commitment of 75% of their time in the proposed research training.
- The NPA is a postdoctoral trainee with studies relevant to the IG mandate, such as human genetics, computational and systems biology; bioinformatics; health data science.
- The NPA can be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or citizen of another country.
- A primary supervisor who has an academic appointment with a CIHR Eligible Institution must be identified on the application. Only one candidate per supervisor will be considered for this program. The primary supervisor must secure the trainee with postdoctoral status at the university by the fellowship’s start date. An additional supervisor may also the NPA is responsible for securing their proposed postdoctoral primary supervisor before applying to this program.
How to Apply
- How to Apply: To be considered for the scholarship, applicants must have to take admission in the postdoctoral degree program at the CIHR or CGEn. To complete your full application, only some of the components of the general Other Training Awards – Application Instructions will apply.
- Supporting Documents: The students are required to present the following documents to the university:
- Letters of Support – Mandatory (Maximum 3 pages per supervisor, upload individually): Label as “Letter of Support from Supervisor – Name”
- Label as “List of Other Contributions” – Mandatory (Maximum 1 page):
- Degree certificate
- Transcripts of marks
- Admission Requirements: To be admitted, you need to meet the entry requirements for each qualification you plan to study.
- Language Requirement: The students must have knowledge of conversational English at least.
- The university will provide the benefits:-
- The total amount available for this funding opportunity is $1,120,000, enough to fund approximately 16 awards. The maximum amount per award is $70,000 annually for up to 1 year.
- Award funding is allocated as follows:
- Trainee stipend: $65,000 per award.
- Research allowance: $5,000 per award.