The NYUAD Institute is awarding Humanities Research Fellowship Program from distinguished senior scholars as well as from promising junior scholars for residential fellowships at the Institute.
This program aims to help create an energetic, multi-faceted research environment for the Humanities at NYUAD’s campus.
New York University Abu Dhabi is a research university with a fully integrated liberal arts and science college, located in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. Together with New York University in New York City and New York University Shanghai, the portal campus is part of NYU’s Global Network University.
- Applications Deadline: November 1, 2018
- Course Level: Fellowship is available to pursue research.
- Study Subject: While open to scholars working in all areas of the Humanities, the program aims in particular to build a center of outstanding research capacity in areas of the Humanities that are relevant for the study of the Arabic world, its rich intellectual, religious, and scientific history, its cultural and artistic heritage as expressed in traditional and new media, and its interaction with other cultures in the past and present.
- Scholarship Award: For the period of their fellowships, scholars are offered work/office space at the Institute, full use of NYUAD’s library facilities (which are substantial, closely connected as they are to NYU’s Main Library in New York), administrative support, housing at NYUAD’s campus on Saadiyat Island, a fellowship stipend commensurate with experience, a personal research allowance, an opportunity to host a small workshop funded by the Research Institute, support for travel to and from Abu Dhabi. Fellowship recipients are responsible for conforming to tax requirements of their home countries.
- Nationality: The fellowships are open to scholars of all backgrounds and nationalities.
- Number of Scholarships: The Institute hosts up to two senior fellows and up to four junior fellows.
- Scholarship can be taken in UAE
Eligibility for the Scholarship
Eligible Countries: The fellowships are open to scholars of all backgrounds and nationalities.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
Eligible candidates for the senior fellowships have an outstanding scholarly accomplishment, including an internationally recognized publication record. Mid-career scholars with strong publication records and exceptional scholarly promise may be considered in this category. Eligible candidates for the junior fellowships, which are intended especially for young scholars who wish to turn their doctoral dissertations into book manuscripts publishable with major academic presses, have received their PhD within the previous five years and have a strong record of scholarly accomplishment.
All research fellowships will be offered to scholars who demonstrate interest in playing an active role in the intellectual community of NYUAD, in particular by exchanging ideas with other Institute fellows and with NYU faculty and students. The fellowships are open to scholars of all backgrounds and nationalities.
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply: Required Documents
Senior Research Fellow
- A summary of the proposed research, including a rationale for conducting the work at NYUAD (circa 3-5 pages);
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Names of three references.
- Abstract of doctoral dissertation or published book;
- Title page, table of contents, and an excerpt (approximately 50 pages) of dissertation or published book;
- A detailed proposal of the work to be completed during the fellowship, including a rationale for conducting the work at NYUAD (circa 3-5 pages);
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Three letters of recommendation. Please have referees send letters directly to [email protected] with applicant’s official last name in subject line.
Your application will not be considered complete without all required documentation. When uploading documents, please note that all files should be in PDF format and should follow this file name structure “Last name, First name_Content of document” (e.g., Smith, Jill_Dissertation.pdf).