Institute for Advanced Study at Central European University is delighted to offer Junior/Senior Core Fellowships for the academic year 2019/20. International students are eligible to apply for this fellowship.
Central European University is a graduate-level “crossroads” university where faculty and students from more than 100 countries come to engage in interdisciplinary education, pursue advanced scholarship, and address some of the society’s most vexing problems.
Candidates must demonstrate proficiency in English by submitting standardized English language test scores. Candidates whose first language is English are normally exempt from this requirement.
- Applications Deadline: October 5, 2018
- Course Level: Fellowships run for the full 9-month period (Oct-June), for the 3-month shortfall semester (October-December), the 5-month fall semester (Oct-February) or the 6-month spring semester (Jan-June).
- Study Subject: Fellowships are available in all research areas of the social sciences and humanities, broadly defined.
- Scholarship Award: Scholars at IAS CEU receive accommodation in the Raoul Wallenberg Guesthouse and a monthly stipend. Fellows are expected to reside in Budapest during their fellowship year, participate in the intellectual life of the Institute and pursue their research agenda. Senior fellows receive a net monthly stipend of 2,600 Euros and junior fellows receive a net monthly stipend of 1,500 Euros to help support their stay in Budapest. In addition, all fellows and their families receive housing at the Raoul Wallenberg Guesthouse. Utilities at the Guesthouse will be charged to the Fellows. Fellows are also responsible for their own travel and health care provisions.
- Nationality: International students are eligible to apply for this fellowship.
- Number of Scholarships: Each year, IAS CEU selects for this program some 15 fellows from an average of over 400 applicants.
- Scholarship can be taken in Hungary
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: International students are eligible to apply for this fellowship.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must hold a PhD or equivalent in the social sciences or humanities at the time of their application.
- Only those with publications in internationally recognized scholarly outlets will be considered.
- Junior fellows must have obtained a PhD degree issued in 2011 or later and must apply for the junior fellowship. Candidates who obtained their PhD before 2011 are considered “senior” and must apply for the senior fellowship.
- Full-time CEU employees and students are not eligible to apply for 5 years after the ending of their studies/contract (degrees must have been received and contracts must have ended by December 31, 2013, or earlier).
- Part-time/temporary employees of CEU are not eligible for 1 year after their contract ended (their contract must have ended by December 31, 2017, or earlier).
- Former fellows of IAS CEU are not eligible to apply until a period of 7 years has passed since their previous fellowship. Applications may be considered only in exceptional cases.
- Applicants are expected to be able to communicate fluently in English as this is the working language of the Institute and CEU.
English Language Requirements: Applicants are expected to be able to communicate fluently in English as this is the working language of the Institute and CEU.
How to Apply: All applications must be submitted through our online application system with application files sent an e-mail. This year’s application form will be open starting from 4 July 2018.
Step 1: Go to the Application Form for the Academic Year 2019/20 at the IAS CEU website, and fill in all your data as required.
Please note that you cannot save your work and continue filling in the form at a later time, so you are asked to submit your application when you have all the information and materials ready! Incomplete forms or applications submitted in any other way than what is described in this Call will not be considered.
Step 2: Create a single pdf file no larger than 12 MBs containing all your application package and send it to the IAS_applications-at-ceu.edu e-mail address. The name of the pdf file and the subject of your e-mail should contain your name and the type of fellowship you are applying to. (Example: “Application John Smith – Core Junior Fellowship”)
Please note that incomplete applications, when either the web form is not filled in or the pdf application package is not sent, will not be considered. You will receive a confirmation of receipt of your application package shortly from IAS.
The application package that you should send in pdf should contain the following documents:
- A letter of intent (max 1,500 words)
- The abstract of your research project (max. 150 words)
- A description of your research project (min. 1,000 – max. 2,500 words; the reference list is not included in the word count)
- A CV including a list of up to 5 (in case of junior applicants) and up to 15 (in the case of senior applicants) of your most important publications. For junior applicants ONLY: the name and email address of two referees (for potential reference).