Applications are invited for Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarships in Public Policy and Taxation to study in Japan for the year 2017. Students from Developing Countries are eligible to apply for these scholarships.
The objectives of the PPT program are: firstly, to help the students develop a basic understanding of public policy and taxation; secondly, to teach the concepts and methods of an entire taxation process through a practicum provided by Japan’s National Tax Agency; and lastly, to offer specialized courses of study on various aspects of public policy and taxation which are most relevant to the students’ home countries.
User Review( votes)
YNU has been known as one of the leading universities in Japan. With a student population of 10,000, a vast, leafy campus and modern facilities, YNU has long been committed to playing a global role with a long-term perspective.
In order to be eligible applicants must be 35 years old or younger. Priority will be given to students who has submitted GRE scores.
Course Level: Scholarships are available to Graduates.
Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded in Public Policy and Taxation.
Scholarship Award: The World Bank annually awards five scholarships to the PPT program. The first level of screening of candidates will be done at Yokohama National University. The final decision regarding scholarship recipients will be made by the World Bank.
The scholarship covers screening fee, the university admission fee, tuition for two years, and medical insurance. In addition, the scholarship provides a monthly allowance of JPY 152,000 (the amount is subject to change), and round-trip air tickets between your country and Japan plus a one-time travel allowance of $500. The monthly stipend is intended to cover living, commuting and other incidental expenses during the student’s stay in Yokohama. Travel expenses for some program-sponsored field trips (domestic study tours) are also included. The next scholarship program runs from September 2016 to August 2018. This period cannot be changed under any circumstance.
Scholarship can be taken in the Japan
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- Be a national of a Bank member country that is eligible to receive Bank financing and not be a national of any country that is not eligible to receive the Bank financing;
- Be in good health with respect to the capacity to be a productive scholar for the duration of the Graduate Program, as certified by a medical doctor;
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent with superior academic achievement earned more than three (3) years before the Scholarship Application Deadline;
- Be employed in a paid and full-time position at the time of Scholarship Application Deadline unless the applicant is from a country identified in the World Bank’s “Harmonized list of Fragile Situations”;
- Have, by the time of the Scholarship Application Deadline, at least three (3) years of recent full time paid professional experience acquired in development-related work after a Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in the applicant’s home country or in another developing country. If the applicant is from a country identified in the World Bank’s “Harmonized List of Fragile Situations” at the time of the Scholarship Application Deadline, the recent professional experience does not have to be full-time or paid;
- Be serving as tax officials in the Government in principle, and have at least three (3) years’ work experience in tax policy or tax administration of the Government in their home countries;
- Not have received any scholarship funding to earn a Graduate degree or its equivalent from any sources funded by the government of Japan;
- Not be an Executive Director, his/her alternate, staff of the World Bank Group (the World Bank, International Development Association, International Finance Corporation, Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency, and International Center for Settlement of Investment Disputes), or a close relative of the aforementioned;
- Be under the age of forty-five (45).
Priority consideration will be given to applicants who:
- (a) are 35 years old or younger;
- (b) can receive an official leave of absence during the period of study;
- (c) are planning to return to the equivalent position (including the current one) in their home country after s/he completes the program;
- (d) are recommended by appropriate government agencies;
- (e) submitted GRE scores.
Nationality: Students from Developing Countries (Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burma, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African, Republic Chad, Chile, People’s Republic of China, Colombia, Comoros, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Republic of the Congo, Costa Rica, Ivory Coast, Croatia, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, The Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea, Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Indonesia, India, Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Lithuania, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Federated States of Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Samoa, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint- Vincent and the Grenadines, South Sudan, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syria, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia and Zimbabwe) are eligible to apply for these scholarships.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must hold a Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent with superior academic achievement earned more than three (3) years before the Scholarship Application Deadline.
English language Requirements: Each applicant must demonstrate a proficiency in English sufficient for undertaking instruction in that language. In this regard, a minimum TOEFL score of 79 on the internet based (TOEFL-iBT) or IELTS score of 6.5 is required for entrance into the program. In the case that only the paper-based TOEFL is available in your country, the required minimum score is 550. The only documents we accept are official TOEFL scores sent directly by Educational Testing Service (ETS) or official IELTS score sent directly by the British Council. Please refer to the TOEFL web page at http://www.ets.org/toefl or the IELTS webpage at http://www.britishcouncil.org/exam where you can obtain information regarding the examination. The institution code for Yokohama National University is 0410 for TOEFL. Choose 84 (economics) as the department code.
The only exception is the case in which the primary language used for academic instructions and communication at the applicant’s undergraduate institution was English. In this case, you must include an official letter obtained from the university confirming this information. Those applicants who do submit TOEFL or IELTS scores will be given priority in the selection process. We do NOT accept copies of TOEFL and IELTS scores directly sent by the applicants, the results of the TOEFL ITP, or any other exams conducted by private agencies.
How to Apply: Applications should be sent via post. The following materials constitute your application.
- Application Form
- Statement of Purpose
- Two Confidential Letters of Recommendation
- Official Academic Transcript
- Official TOEFL/IELTS Score or a letter from your undergraduate institution confirming that the primary language used for academic instruction was English.
- Official GRE Score (if available)
Application Deadline: Scholarship application deadline is February 28, 2017.