The Makerere University Regional Centre for Crop Improvement (MaRCCI) invites outstanding candidates from Eastern and Southern Africa to apply for a very limited number of partial or fully-funded positions to pursue an MSc in Plant Breeding and Seed Systems (PBSS) or a PhD in Plant Breeding and Biotechnology (PBB) at Makerere University.
The Centre aims to equip African scientists with sound theoretical and practical knowledge, enabled for innovative use of the most current breeding approaches in crop variety development.
User Review( votes)
MaRCCI, an African Regional Centre of Excellence for Crop Improvement, is supported by a grant from World Bank (2017-2022) and builds upon Makerere University’s highly respected PhD and MSc training in plant breeding that was initiated as a regional programme by RUFORUM in 2008.
Application Deadline: January 19, 2018
Course Level: The studentships are available to pursue an MSc or PhD programme at Makerere University.
Study Subject: The studentships are awarded in the field of Plant Breeding
Award: A very limited number of partial or full opportunities are available.
Number of Awards: Not given
The award can be taken in Uganda
Eligible Countries: Students from Eastern and Southern Africa are eligible to apply.
Entrance Requirements: All applicants should demonstrate a strong commitment to working in agriculture and must meet criteria for admission to Makerere University. Applicants for the MSc PBSS should have the following qualifications—
- Must have obtained at least a Bachelor of Science degree in Crop Science or other relevant fields
- Should be less than 35 years of age at the time of application. Applicants for PBB should have the following qualifications —
Announcement of Scholarships for MSc and PhD in Plant Breeding College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Makerere University
- Must have obtained at least a Master of Science degree in Plant Breeding or other relevant fields in plant sciences from a recognized and chartered university/institution.
- Should be less than 40 years of age at the time of application.
- Applicants from Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, and Zambia will be given preference.
The following conditions are an added advantage:
- Current employment in a seed company, National Agricultural Research Institution, University, or Ministry of Agriculture.
- Proof of job placement upon successful completion and expected return to any of above institutions or programmes
- Evidence of partial support from other sources.
- Females may be given preference.
Applicants should provide:
- Curriculum Vitae of not more than 2 pages, with Names and contact information (e-mail addresses and telephone numbers) of 3 references
- Academic documents/transcripts (translated into English if required),
- Letter regarding motivation
- Photocopy of primary page of passport
- Completed application form for Makerere University’s post-graduate programme
- MaRCCI’s supplemental application form.
How to Apply:
Applications can be submitted in hard copy.