Applications are requested for the Marcus Garvey Public Sector Graduate Scholarship to undertake Graduate studies at an approved local and/or International University. Funded by the Government of Jamaica, the program is open to Jamaican nationals and citizens employed in the public sector.
This opportunity allows applicants to obtain a postgraduate degree from competitive, appropriately accredited universities in Jamaica, North America, and Europe. Studies must be carried out full-time and can be onsite, online, or a combination of both, with effect from the Academic year 2023/24.
This a great opportunity to study abroad.
User Review( votes)
Jamaica is a Caribbean island nation, and the Ministry of Finance & the Public Service (MOFPS) is responsible for developing the Government’s fiscal and economic policy framework. MOFPS is the lead government entity for Open Government in Jamaica.
Why apply to this program? The award program was established in 2020 by the Government of Jamaica. Through the award, applicants can receive 100% of tuition costs for the eligible programs at the participating universities. Also, benefits, including Round trip ticket, Tuition, mandatory fees, Miscellaneous & Book allowance, and Medical Insurance (Overseas study only).
Application Deadline: 31 January 2023.
- University or Organization: Ministry of Finance & the Public Service
- Department: All
- Course Level: (Masters or Doctoral)
- Award: 100% of tuition costs or fully-funded
- Access Mode: Online
- Number of Awards: Varies
- Nationality: Domestic
- The award can be taken in Jamaica
- Eligible Countries: Jamaica
- Acceptable Course or Subjects: The scholarship will be awarded to the postgraduate degree program appropriately accredited universities in Jamaica, North America, and Europe in priority disciplines:
- Cyber Security
- Climate Change (Environmental Management/Disaster Risk Management)
- Data Analytics
- Education (Science/Technology/Engineering/Mathematics)
- Engineering / Built Environment
- Law, Public Policy & Administration/Governance
- National Security
- Public Health
- Admissible Criteria: To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the following criteria:
- Jamaican citizens are permanently residing in Jamaica.
- Aged 45 or younger at the time of submission
- Applicants for the Marcus Garvey Scholarship Program must have already applied to a University with the eligibility to graduate in two (2) years from the date of the scholarship or be accepted into a university to complete the degree in two (2) years.
- Have obtained a university degree on submission of their scholarship application (for graduate scholarships)
- Applicants for the graduate scholarships must apply to an institution in the participating list of Universities ( UWI, UTECH, Oxford University, Harvard University, King’s College, John Hopkins University)
- 1) University of the West Indies: Masters Study Level in Applied Economics
- 2) University of Technology: MSc in Built Environment
- 3) Oxford University, UK: MA in Business Administration
- 4) King’s College UK: LLM in Climate Change: Environment, Science & Policy
- 5) Harvard University, USA: MPAID: Cybersecurity
- 6) Johns Hopkins University, USA: MBA in Data Analytics, Ed. M. in Economics, MPP in Economics for Development, MS in Education (Child Development & Education), MPhil in Engineering, Governance & Public Policy, Doctoral Study Level in Integrated Rural Development, Ph.D / DPhil in International Economics & Finance, DBA International Education Policy, Eng. D / PhD (Eng) in International Health & Tropical Medicine, Ed.D / D.Ed in Law, National Security and Strategic Studies, Procurement Management, Public Administration in International Development, Public Health, Public Policy, Sustainable Energy & Climate Change, Teacher Education and Teacher, Development, and Teaching.
How to Apply
- How to Apply: Applications will only be accepted via the Scholarships Web Portal link – https://ecmservices.egovja.com/sau/Dashboard
- Supporting Documents: All the following documents are required with the application:
- Certified copies of transcripts of grades for all academic degrees completed
- Three (3) recommendation letters (Character, Employer, Academic)
- Certified Birth Certificate/Bio-data Page of Passport
- Medical Certificate
- Curriculum Vitae
- Verified Job Letter
- Professional Photograph
- Essays include the following:
- a) A personal statement
- b) A statement indicating how your chosen area of study will contribute to the development needs of Jamaica.
- c) A statement indicating your academic and professional 5-year plan post-studies and how you will apply your new knowledge to meet your goals.
- Admission Requirements: Must be permanently employed or have two years of continuous service in the GOJ and be able to qualify for Study Leave.
- Language Requirement: English language skills are required. Language requests may differ as per university requirements.
The Marcus Garvey Public Sector Graduate Scholarship will cover 100% of tuition costs for the eligible programs at the participating universities.
The scholarship is awarded for a minimum period of one (1) academic year and a maximum period of two (2) academic years. The benefits vary and may include the following:
- Round trip ticket (applicable to overseas study, From Jamaica to University and Return)
- Tuition and mandatory fees
- Miscellaneous & Book allowance
- Medical Insurance (Overseas study only)