The University of Twente is offering a free online course on Nanotechnology for Health: Innovative Designs for Medical Diagnosis. This course is designed for anyone with an interest in nanotechnology or medicine.
This Nanotechnology online course explores the potential of nanotechnology in medical applications, to create new devices that can be used to diagnose a disease or monitor a medical treatment.
Best online course for students.
User Review( votes)
Course At A Glance
Length: 4 weeks
Effort: 3 hours/week
Institution: University of Twente and Future Learn
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Date to be announced
The University of Twente is a university located in Enschede, Netherlands. It offers research and degree programmes in the social and behavioural sciences and in engineering.
About This Course
Nanotechnology is used to control and manipulate nanometer-sized matter with nanometer precision. This can be atoms, molecules, or larger biological structures such as DNA or living cells. This free online course explores the potential of nanotechnology in medical applications, to create new devices that can be used to diagnose a disease or monitor a medical treatment.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. Applicants can pursue a verified certificate. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts.
In the first week of the course, University provides an introduction to nanotechnology. In each of the three following weeks, we explore a different medical application:
- How cantilever technology can be used to detect a disease from your breath;
- How lab-on-a-chip technology can be used for blood analysis at home;
- And how bladder cancer can be detected in a urine test at a very early stage.
For each innovative application of nanotechnology in medicine we will explain:
- How the devices work and how nanotechnology plays a role;
- What technologies are used to fabricate micron and nanometer-sized devices in the laboratories and clean rooms at the University of Twente;
- And what the ethical and societal implications of these new technologies are.
This course is designed for anyone with an interest in nanotechnology or medicine. Some of the technical sections of the course require undergraduate-level mathematics and physics, but these sections are not required to understand the main part of the course.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, the applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, a student will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s)).