Each year, New Zealand Law Foundation awards Ethel Benjamin Scholarship for Women to support postgraduate research in law that will protect and promote the interests of the public in relation to legal matters in New Zealand. The scholarship is available to outstanding New Zealand women law graduates for postgraduate studies in Law at either a New Zealand or an overseas university acceptable to the Selection Committee. Value of scholarship is Up to $20,000 for study in New Zealand and Up to $50,000 for study overseas.
Study Subject (s): Scholarship is awarded in the field of law.
Course Level: Scholarship is available for pursuing postgraduate research program at either a New Zealand or an overseas university acceptable to the Selection Committee.
Scholarship Provider: New Zealand Law Foundation
Scholarship can be taken at New Zealand or Abroad
User Review( votes)
Eligibility: A Scholarship may be awarded to any woman scholar who is
- a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- the holder of a New Zealand university law degree (unless there are exceptional circumstances the award would normally be made to candidates who have gained the qualifying degree within the past five years
- accepted into a postgraduate course in law at either a New Zealand or an overseas university acceptable to the Selection Committee.
Scholarship Open for Students of Following Countries: Scholarship is open for New Zealand citizen or permanent resident.
Scholarship Description: In 1997 the Trustees of the New Zealand Law Foundation determined to mark the centenary of the admission of Ethel Benjamin as the first woman barrister and solicitor. To that end, they established this scholarship as a merit-based award to outstanding women scholars.
Number of award(s): One or two scholarships may be awarded in any given year. (Extra funds may be made available by the Foundation on the recommendation of the Selection Committee).
Duration of award(s): Prizes are usually awarded for one year.
What does it cover? Scholarship up to $20,000 for study in New Zealand and up to $50,000 for study overseas will be awarded.
How to Apply: Candidates should complete an application using the Universities NZ on-line scholarship application website: https://universitiesnz.communityforce.com
The online application form will request and applicants must provide:
- the applicant’s academic record.
- a statement of the proposed programme of research or advanced study.
- proof of NZ citizenship or permanent residency.
- an example of legal writing not exceeding 10,000 words (e.g. essays, opinions, legal articles, the chapter of thesis), accompanied by an abstract to provide information on the context of the original.
- full particulars of any other bursaries, scholarships, prizes or fellowships which the applicant has applied for or been awarded.
Scholarship Application Deadline: The deadline for applications is 1 March 2019