Applications are open for the 2023 Academic Scholarships Program launched by the Organization of American States (OAS). Two types of scholarships are available: 1) Scholarships in an OAS Consortium University and 2) Non-OAS Consortium University.
The funding program is open for Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada. Selected winners will receive $10,000 per academic year, tuition fees, airfare, mandatory expenses, medical insurance, monthly allowance, and annual book allowance.
Nice offer for Canadian students.
User Review( votes)
The Organization of American States (OAS) was established on 30 April 1948. It is an international organization and a regional inter-governmental body that aims to strengthen democracy and cooperation in the Americas.
Application Deadline: 4 April 2023.
- University or Organization: The Organization of American States (OAS)
- Department: NA
- Course Level: Graduate study or research at the Master’s or PhD level
- Award: USD 10,000 (maximum) per academic year
- Access Mode: Online
- Number of Awards: 1
- Nationality: International
- Awards can be taken in Canada
- Eligible Countries: Students and researchers from Canada (citizens or permanent residence holders)
- Acceptable Course or Subjects: The award will be awarded for graduate study or research at the Masters or PhD level at a university in an OAS member state other than Canada.
- OAS Member State: Members: 35—Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, the United States, Uruguay, and Venezuela.
- Admissible Criteria: To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the following criteria:
- Candidates must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada.
- Applicants must have completed the prerequisite degrees for the proposed program of study at the time of applying.
- Applicants must have an overall grade point average (GPA) that is above the minimum standard required by the host university.
- Applicants must be in good physical and mental health to successfully complete the proposed program of study.
- Applicants must possess the linguistic competencies necessary to undertake academic studies in the institution’s language in the country of study.
- 1) Scholarships in an OAS Consortium University: candidates apply directly to up to three programs in universities or educational institutions from the OAS Consortium of Universities list in up to three different countries.
- 2) Scholarships in a Non-OAS Consortium University: candidates apply directly for admission to the universities or educational institutions of their choice and apply separately for an OAS scholarship.
How to Apply
Submit the online 2023 OAS Graduate Academic Scholarships Application.
- How to Apply: Candidates must complete a three-step application process.
- Step one: complete and submit the Organization of American States (OAS) online application form for graduate studies and provide the supporting documents as requested.
- Step two: submit a copy of the completed OAS application and supporting documents by email to the Canadian Bureau for International Education (CBIE).
- Step three: complete and submit the online application form of the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development (DFATD) available on this site and provide the supporting documents as requested.
- Supporting Documents: The OAS application and associated supporting documents must be submitted by email to [email protected] Document titles must identify the applicant’s name in the following format: OAS-last name-first name. All documents must be in either English or French.
- Copy of the OAS online application form
- Copy of diploma for highest degree obtained (Bachelor or Master’s)
- Copy of official transcripts: a transcript of all post-secondary studies to date with the cumulative grade point average (GPA) for each degree or certificate.
- Curriculum vitae
- Two stamped and/or signed recommendation letters
- Letter of admission
- Identification Card (ID): a copy of a birth certificate, citizenship card, passport, or permanent resident card only
- Admission Requirements: Applicants are encouraged to review the full OAS Academic Scholarship Application Guidelines before proceeding with the application form.
- Language Requirement: English language skills are required.
The Organization of American States (OAS) will provide USD 10,000 (maximum) per academic year. Airfare, tuition fees, mandatory expenses, monthly allowance, medical insurance, and annual book allowance.
The benefits will vary according to the terms and conditions as well as the length of the award. Benefits are assigned on a case-by-case basis and may include the following:
- Round-trip airfare via the most direct and economical route from Canada to the country of study
- Tuition fees and mandatory expenses for the academic program
- Monthly complementary subsistence allowance (onsite candidates only)
- Health insurance (onsite candidates only)
- Fixed annual book allowance
Candidates selected for an Organization of American States scholarship must offer proof of extra funds for their monthly subsistence expenditures.