The Centre for African Studies Basel calls for applications for two doctoral positions in Sociology or African Studies funded by the Humer Foundation (Humer-Stiftung zur Förderung des wissenschaftlichen Nachwuchses).
Study Subject:Sociology or African Studies
Employer: University of Basel
Description: The research is to be carried out within the project Technological Artefacts in African Urban Settings (project leader Prof Elísio Macamo), which is part of the Centre’s joint research theme Living the City concerned with processes of invention and intervention in the dynamics of urbanisation in Africa. The funding over a period of three years allows promising researchers to commit themselves fully to their projects. Applicants have to fulfil the conditions for admission to PhD studies in Sociology or African Studies at the University of Basel.
* Applicants must hold an excellent MA or MSc degree or equivalent qualification in Sociology or African Studies;
* show original ideas for a project on the theme Technological Artefacts in African Urban Settings within the context of the joint research theme Living the City;
* have very good English language skills;
* be ready to take up their project by 1 March 2011.
User Review( votes)
Your application includes:
* a letter of motivation (not exceeding two pages) with special reference to the project mentioned above;
* a short proposal (1’500-2’500 words) for an original research project in this context;
* copies of undergraduate and postgraduate diplomas complete with transcripts;
* a curriculum vitae (not exceeding two pages);
* two letters of recommendation by university professors.
Application Deadline: 22 January 2011