The Smithsonian Gardens is delighted to announce the 2019 Smithsonian Gardens Internship Opportunities. The program is open to all current and recently graduated undergraduate and graduate students.
Interns will learn skills in a broad range of horticultural endeavors from SI’s expert professional staff and can provide a strong practical background to emerging professionals hoping to enter the public gardening world.
User Review( vote)
Field of Internship: Internship is available for graduate and undergraduate program
Course Level: Internship
Internship Provider: Smithsonian Gardens, USA
Internship can be taken in the U.S.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- Smithsonian Gardens accepts current and recently graduated undergraduate, and graduate students
- Must be studying horticulture, landscape architecture, museum studies, or other related fields
- Academic Credit: Interns may arrange for academic credit through their college or university.
Internship Open for International Students: No
Is this paid internship? This is a paid internship programme.
Program benefits include:
- The limited number of stipends available.
- Candidates must pay for their own travel, housing, and subsistence during the period of the internship. Steel-toe safety shoes are required for certain projects.
- The shoes must meet ANSI Safety Standard Z41.1. The Garden Club of America offers a stipend up to $4,000 for a ten-week internship with the Archives of American Gardens.
The Smithsonian Gardens offers an exceptionally well-rounded array of experiences in its internal program thanks to the wide diversity of services provided to Smithsonian, the world’s largest museum complex.
Number of awards offered: Numbers not given
Internship Duration: 10 to 16 weeks
Notification: Not given
How to Apply:
To apply, applicants must create an account and submit an application online, essay, academic records, and two letters of recommendation through at Smithsonian Online Academic Appointment System.
Supporting Documents: Requirements for applying to the Smithsonian Gardens intern program:
- Two letters of recommendation
- College transcript(s)
- Essay describing the background, interest in the field, career goals and chosen project
Internship Application Deadline: Internship application deadline is July 1, 2019, for fall and December 1, 2019, for the winter program.