Applications are invited for Sustainable Water Management: Study Scholarships and Research Grants for Foreigners Doctorate. The DAAD Special Programme funded with the resources of the BMBF on “Sustainable Water Management” is focused on the promotion of young scientists from Brazil, Chile, Iran, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Mongolia, Namibia, Peru, South Africa and Vietnam.
The objective of the programme is to qualify experts in sustainable water management technology for the respective home countries, to enhance technical cooperation between those countries and Germany.
The German Academic Exchange Service or DAAD (German: Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst) is the largest German support organization in the field of international academic co-operation.
Course Level: Scholarships are available to pursue research.
Study Subject: The programme “Study Scholarships and Research Grants for Foreigners” offers highly-qualified doctoral students from the above countries the opportunity to complete their PhD in applied research in the thematic fields of “Water and Energy”, “Water and Nutrition”, “Water and Environment”, “Water and Health” or “Water in Urban Areas”. Studies are to be carried out in Germany and should be technology-oriented.
Scholarship Award: Scholarship covers:
- Six-month intensive language course prior to the start of the research stay
- Monthly payments of 1.200 Euro
- Annual research allowance of 460 Euro
- Flat-rate travel allowance for outward and return journey
- Payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
Under certain circumstances, doctoral grant holders may receive the following additional benefits:
- Monthly rent subsidy
- Monthly allowance for accompanying family members
- Payment of course fees for the online language course “Deutsch-Uni Online (DUO) (www.deutsch-uni.com) for six months after receipt of the Scholarship Award Letter
- Allowance for a self-chosen accompanying German language course during the grant period if free-of-charge courses are not offered by the host institution.
- Reimbursement of the fees for the TestDaF test which is either taken in the home country after receipt of the Scholarship Award Letter or in Germany before the end of the grant period.
Please note: Study trips or fieldwork outside of Germany are not encouraged and cannot be funded.
Number of Scholarships: Not Known
Scholarship can be taken in Germany
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- Applications are open to excellently qualified doctoral candidates from the above-mentioned countries who graduated in disciplines with relevance to sustainable water management no longer than six years ago.
- As a rule, applicants should have graduated with a master’s degree no longer than six years before the time of application.
- Applicants who have been resident in Germany for longer than 15 months at the time of application cannot be considered
Prior communication between the applicant and the academic supervisor is required including a short preparatory visit. The preparatory visit is mandatory and can only be waived in well-founded cases. (e.g. if applicant and supervisors have already been in close contact or know each other from common projects). In such cases, the applicant must provide a written agreement from the future supervisor that the visit is not necessary. Funding is available for the visit on the application. (In case of a positive decision of the selection committee, information about requirements and procedure will be provided together with the letter of award)
- Proposals must be relevant to the above-mentioned thematic fields in applied research.
Nationality: The DAAD Special Programme funded with the resources of the BMBF on “Sustainable Water Management” is focused on the promotion of young scientists from Brazil, Chile, Iran, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Mongolia, Namibia, Peru, South Africa and Vietnam.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: As a rule, applicants should have graduated with a master’s degree no longer than six years before the time of application.
English Language Requirements: Applicants are generally expected to have a good knowledge of English (TOEFL 80 or IELTS: 6.0)
•If available, German language certificate (TestDaF, Zertifikat Deutsch, Deutsches Sprachdiplom, Sprachkenntnisformular DAAD).
How to Apply: • Please note that the “Submit an application” tab in the scholarship database will only appear while the current application period is running. After the application deadline has expired, the portal is no longer available for this program.
- The access to the DAAD portal will open about 6-8 weeks before the application deadline.
Certificates, proof of credits, certifications and translations may be scanned in non-certified form and uploaded to the DAAD portal. The DAAD Head Office in Bonn will only request certified copies of the submitted documents in paper form if a grant is awarded.
- Online application form
- Letter of Motivation (2 pages max., see attached instruction)
- Full curriculum vitae in tabular form (3 pages max.)
- List of publications (max. 3 pages), if applicable
- Summary of the Master’s Thesis (2 pages max.)
- A detailed description of the research proposal, after due discussion with the academic supervisor at the German host institution (max. 10 pages). The description must comprise a detailed schedule of the planned research work. Please submit the proposal and schedule with your original application and an updated version after the preparatory visit
- Confirmation of supervision by a scientist from a German university or higher education institution, with documentation of the supervisor’s cooperation with the relevant industries, organizations and/or municipalities. Please submit with your original application. An updated version can be submitted after the preparatory visit. It would be beneficial to nominate a person from your home country as a mentor or co-supervisor, preferably with industry contacts, or a mentor of your current or prospective employer, where applicable.
- One letter of recommendation by a scientist of your own choice – preferentially the supervisor of your master thesis – must be submitted in a sealed envelope, or sent directly by the referee to the DAAD in Bonn by the closing date for applications. Please regard the instructions given on the tab “Submitting an application”.
- University degree certificate indicating final grade(s) (Bachelor and Master); the certificate must be submitted before the grant-supported research begins if it is not available at the time of application
- All university certificates on all annual examinations with individual grade (transcripts of records), incl. explanation of the grading system
- Other documents which support your application (example: certificates of employment, proof of placement, etc.)
- German or English translations of documents submitted in the national language
- Language certificate as described above
- APS Certificate (for Applicants from Mongolia and Vietnam)
Application Deadline: Grant application deadline is October 31, 2017.