The Government of Canada launched the Vanier Canada graduate funding opportunities (Vanier CGS) program in 2008 to strengthen Canada’s ability to attract and retain world-class doctoral students and establish Canada as a global center of excellence in research and higher learning.
Vanier Scholars demonstrate leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies in the social sciences and/or humanities, natural sciences and/or engineering and health.
A deserving offer for Canadian citizens to get study in canada with financial support.
User Review( votes)
Application Deadline: November 6, 2019
- Course Level: The studentships are available for pursuing PhD level at Canadian universities.
- Award: Each Vanier Canada Graduate award is valued at $50,000 per year.
- Number of Awards: Up to 166 opportunities are awarded annually: A total of up to 500 opportunities are active at any time.
- Nationality: Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens
- The award can be taken in Canada
- Eligible Countries: Canadian and international students can apply for these Vanier Canada graduate funding opportunities.
- Study Subject: The studentships are provided to study any one of the courses offered by Canadian universities.
- Admissible Criteria: To be considered for a Vanier CGS, you must:
- be nominated by only one Canadian institution, which must have received a Vanier CGS quota;
- be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD – if it has a demonstrated and significant research component). Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or a joint graduate program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD) studies and research at the nominating institution; Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- not have completed more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2019 (see calculating months of doctoral studies below);
- have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your institution, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are encouraged to contact the institution for its definition of a first-class average, and
- must not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
How to Apply
- How to Apply: The mode of applying is online.
- Entrance Requirements: Confirm that you and your nominating institution meet all the criteria below before you apply for a Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship (Vanier CGS).Nominations that do not meet all of the eligibility criteria will not be accepted.
- English Language Requirements: Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
Each Vanier Canada Graduate award is valued at $50,000 per year.