The Government of Canada launched the Vanier Canada graduate funding opportunities (Vanier CGS) program in 2008 to strengthen Canada’s ability to attract and retain world-class doctoral students and establish Canada as a global center of excellence in research and higher learning.
The award is open for students from across the globe who wish to pursue PhD degree. Vanier Scholars demonstrate leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies in the social sciences and/or humanities, natural sciences and/or engineering and health.
A deserving offer for Canadian citizens to get study in canada with financial support.
User Review( votes)
Why study in Canada? Choosing Canada to study abroad is a great decision for higher studies. Canadian Government and universities offer multiple financial aid opportunity nationally and globally to support education in Canada.
Application Deadline: June 24, 2020
- Course Level: PhD
- Award: $50,000 per year
- Number of Awards: Up to 166 opportunities are awarded annually: A total of up to 500 opportunities are active at any time.
- Nationality: Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens
- The award can be taken in Canada
- Eligible Countries: Canadian and international students can apply for these Vanier Canada graduate funding opportunities.
- Study Subject: The studentships are provided to study any one of the courses offered by Canadian universities.
- Admissible Criteria: To be considered for a Vanier CGS, you must:
- be nominated by only one Canadian institution, which must have received a Vanier CGS quota;
- be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD – if it has a demonstrated and significant research component). Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or a joint graduate program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD) studies and research at the nominating institution; Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- not have completed more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2019 (see calculating months of doctoral studies below);
- have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your institution, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are encouraged to contact the institution for its definition of a first-class average, and
- must not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
How to Apply
- How to Apply: The mode of applying is online.
- Entrance Requirements: Confirm that you and your nominating institution meet all the criteria below before you apply for a Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship (Vanier CGS).Nominations that do not meet all of the eligibility criteria will not be accepted.
- English Language Requirements: Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
Benefits: Each Vanier Canada Graduate award is valued at $50,000 per year.