The new VEGI-LEG Project PhD scholarship opportunities are now available for the year 2018. Scholarships are available for Tanzanian students.
The aim of the scholarships is to support higher education and training of Tanzanian scholars working or with the potential to work in research and academic institutions. Selected PhD candidates will register as full-time PhD students at SUA in Tanzania.
Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA) is a Public University based in Morogoro Tanzania. The university is located on the slopes of the Uluguru Mountains. SUA is best known for offering courses and programmes widely in a field of Agriculture, Veterinary Science, Forestry, Animal Science, Wildlife Management, Tourism Management, Environmental Science, Food Science, Natural Resources, Nutrition, Rural Development, since its establishment.
- Applications Deadline: October 18, 2018
- Course Level: Scholarships are available to pursue the PhD programme.
- Study Subject: These scholarships are awarded within the field of food processing and nutrient preservation to improve nutrition status and household income.
- Scholarship Award: The scholarship will be tenable at SUA with short research visits at the University of Hohenheim and the Leibniz Centre of Agricultural Landscape Research (ZALF). The scholarship will cover tuition fees, a monthly stipend and research expenses (according to SUA fee structure) limited to a maximum of three years. Successful candidates will be required to apply for admission at SUA and be registered at the Department of Food Technology, Nutrition and Consumer Sciences.
- Nationality: Scholarships are available for Tanzanian students.
- Number of Scholarships: The project has a capacity building component with two PhD scholarships available within the framework of the project.
- Scholarship can be taken in The scholarship will be tenable at SUA with short research visits at the University of Hohenheim and the Leibniz Centre of Agricultural Landscape Research (ZALF).
Eligibility for the Scholarship
Eligible Countries: Scholarships are available for Tanzanian students.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must hold MSc Nutrition, MSc FST or other equivalent degrees in related fields.
- Applicants should be highly motivated, self-driven and diligent.
- Willingness to travel to distant areas (Lindi) with extended stays in the field
- Good academic background with solid skills in a range of statistical software.
- Excellent communication with a good command of English.
- Team player with good interpersonal skills
- The tentative start date will be as soon as possible
- Full-time availability of applicant thereafter to fulfil project tasks and activities to accomplish research goals of the project.
English Language Requirements: Excellent communication with a good command of English.
How to Apply: Interested candidates who meet requirements are invited to submit a concept note (3 pages maximum), with reference to the PhD focus, and research assumptions and questions.
In addition, the application should be accompanied with a cover letter, curriculum vitae, at least one publication authored by the applicant (as the first author), a reference letter from their MSc Dissertation supervisors and contact details of 2 academic referees.
Application documents should be submitted by email to Dr Hadijah Mbwana (hadijah.mbwana-at-sua.ac.tz or hadija27-at-yahoo.com) with a copy to Ms Mariana Ngowi (ngowim44-at-gmail.com).