The Government of India is offering General Scholarship Scheme (GSS) for the academic year 2017-2018. The studentships are awarded under this scheme annually to international students belonging to certain Asian, African and Latin American countries for pursuing undergraduate, postgraduate and research programme at Indian universities.
The General Scholarship Scheme (GSS) is one of the most important and popular schemes of the ICCR for foreign students.
User Review( votes)
Medium of instruction in Indian Universities is English. Candidates must have adequate knowledge of English both in terms of speaking and comprehension abilities.
Course Level: The studentships are available for pursuing undergraduate, postgraduate and research programme at Indian universities.
Study Subject: The studentships are available to learn any of the courses offered by the university.
Award: Amount/payments made under opportunities are given below:
Living Allowance (Stipend) (Per Month)
M.Phil. / PhD: 7,000
Post-doctoral Fellow 7,500
House Rent Allowance As per actual with a monthly ceiling of Rs.5,000 (Grade – I Cities) (Rs.4,500 )Other cities (Per Month) only if hostel is not available in the University/College.
In Grade 1 cities: 5,000
In other cities: 4,500
Contingent Grant (per annum)
M/Phil / Ph.D. and M.Tech./ME: 12,500
Post – doctoral studies: 15,500
Tuition Fee/Other Compulsory Fee As per actual (excluding refundable amount)
Thesis and dissertation expenses (Once in entire duration of course)
- D. Scholar: 10,000
- For BBA/BCA/MBA/MCA/M.Tech. and other course required submission of Project should be duly certified by Head of Department: 000
Under the scheme students are expected to seek treatment only at medical centre or dispensary attached to universities / Institutes where they enrolled or in the nearest Government hospital: Bill are settled as admissible according to AMA/CGHS norms
The award can be taken in India
Eligibility: Applicants must go through these guidelines / instructions carefully and fill the applications accordingly.
- ICCR accepts applications only through Indian Missions overseas. Candidates are advised to apply through the Indian missions in their respective countries. No application may be sent directly to ICCR or through their country’s Embassies/High Commissions in New Delhi.
- Applicants are advised to go through the “University Handbook” available with our Mission before selecting course and giving options for universities. Candidate should clearly mention the course and University to which he/she is seeking admission. Courses may be selected on the basis of the subjects studied in high school.
- Applicants applying for doctoral/ post-doctoral courses should include a synopsis of the proposed area of research. Applications for Casual research will not be entertained.
- Students wishing to study performing arts should, if possible, enclose video/ audio of their recorded performances.
- Applicants are required to give three choices for the Universities they wish to have admissions in. However, in case the candidates are not accepted by any of the three Universities of their choices, they may clearly mention whether or not would they wish to be considered for admission in the Universities/Institutions apart from the three choices. ICCR would forward applications of only such candidates to other Universities offering similar courses as desired by the candidate, who express willingness in the application to be considered for admissions in other Universities, in other cities of India. Applications of candidates not wanting to be considered in other Universities than their three options would be returned.
- Students intending to apply for research courses after completing their postgraduation courses will have to go back to their respective countries, apply afresh for research courses, and come back to the University/ Institution granting them admissions only after obtaining correct visa i.e., the Research Visa. Please note, NO requests for direct admissions to research courses would be entertained in ICCR. NO requests for changing the category of visa from ‘Student’s Visa’ to ‘Research Visa’ would be entertained in ICCR.
Nationality: The list of countries covered under the GSS is given are: Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Brazil, Cambodia, Fiji, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Hungary, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, Oman, Palestine, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Russia, Saint Denis Reunion Island, Saudi Arabia, Siberia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Trinidad & Tobago, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, UAE, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must have their previous degree.
English Language Requirement:
- Since medium of course is English language in all the Universities in India, nominated candidates should have good knowledge of English to the extent that they are able to fluently speak in English and comprehend lessons in English without any difficulty.
- The Mission should forward applications of only those candidates who are fluent in speaking English and have good comprehension ability. Missions are required to so certify in the application form of each candidate.
- With the exception of Missions in Francophone countries and Afghanistan, no Mission should certify the English proficiency form unless it is fully satisfied of the speaking and comprehension capacities of the candidates.
How to Apply: To be filled in by mission and attached to each copy of application. Check list for missions
- Application form being used is for the right academic year.
- Five copies/ sets of the application duly filled in and properly tagged are sent herewith
- Scholarship scheme has been selected/ ticked properly by the scholar
- Course/ University option has been properly indicated by the scholar (
- There are six recent passport size photographs, five pasted (one on each form with signature) and one additional photograph not pasted to any form
- Certified copies have been attached of the syllabi and graduation certificates/ marksheets for all educational qualification listed
- Marksheets etc. for the minimum qualifications required by the student to qualify for his course of choice have been attached
- Synopsis of proposed area of research have been attached by the student who is applying for doctoral/ post doctoral course
- This application is for a B.E. course and has the confirmation the candidate has taken Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics (PCM) in his/her school leaving examinations (mandatory requirement) for Engineering courses
- Video/ audio cassettes of students wishing to study performing Arts are enclosed.
- Certified copies of translations of documents which are not in English are attached
- Certified that no original documents attached with this application
- Certificate of Physical fitness is attached
- Character recommendations are attached
- Certificate by Mission including certification of student’s English skills are attached ( )
- Certified copies of relevant pages of passport are attached ( )
- Undertaking has been given by student that he will abide by terms and conditions of ICCR scholarships Certified that student has not been given ICCR scholarship before (Note: If s/he has already availed of an ICCR scholarship, please attach HOM’s recommendation as to why s/he should be given funding for the second time)
- Certified that student is not already studying in India (Note: If student is already studying in India, please attach HOM’s recommendation as to why s/he should be converted into an ICCR scholar)
- Certified that application form is complete in every respect
Application Deadline: The application deadline for each country deadline.