The Government of India is offering General Scholarship Scheme (GSS) for the academic year 2017-2018. These are available for pursuing undergraduate, postgraduate and research program at Indian universities.
These are awarded under this scheme annually to international students belonging to certain Asian, African and Latin American countries for pursuing undergraduate, postgraduate and research program at Indian universities.
Marvelous Scholarship Scheme (GSS) for Foreign Students.
User Review( votes)
The General Scholarship Scheme (GSS) is one of the most important and popular schemes of the ICCR for foreign students.
- Applicants are advised to go through the “University Handbook” available with our Mission before selecting the course and giving options for universities. Candidate should clearly mention the course and University to which he/she is seeking admission. Courses may be selected on the basis of the subjects studied in high school.
- These are available to learn any of the courses offered by the university.
- Applicants applying for doctoral/ post-doctoral courses should include a synopsis of the proposed area of research.
- Since the medium of, the course in the English language in all the Universities in India, nominated candidates should have good knowledge of English to the extent that they are able to fluently speak in English and comprehend lessons in English without any difficulty.
- The Mission should forward applications of only those candidates who are fluent in speaking English and have good comprehension ability. Missions are required to so certify in the application form of each candidate.
How to Apply
- How to Apply: ICCR accepts Application Form only through Indian Missions overseas. Candidates are advised to apply through the Indian missions in their respective countries. No application may be sent directly to ICCR or through their country’s Embassies/High Commissions in New Delhi.
- Students intending to apply for research courses after completing their postgraduation courses will have to go back to their respective countries, apply afresh for research courses, and come back to the University/ Institution granting them admissions only after obtaining correct visa i.e., the Research Visa.
- Supporting Documents: To apply, students must be ready to submit the Five copies/ sets of the application duly filled in and properly tagged are sent herewith, six recent passport size photographs, five pasted, Certified copies, Character recommendations, Certificate of Physical fitness, Video/ audio cassettes, Marksheets, etc.
- Admission Requirements: Applicants must have their previous degree.
- Language Requirement: The medium of instruction in Indian Universities is English. Candidates must have adequate knowledge of English both in terms of speaking and comprehension abilities.
Amount/payments made under awards are given below:
- Living Allowance (Stipend) (Per Month)
- Undergraduate: 5,500
- Postgraduate: 6,000
- M.Phil. / PhD: 7,000
- Post-doctoral Fellow 7,500
- House Rent Allowance As per actual with a monthly ceiling of Rs.5,000 (Grade – I Cities) (Rs.4,500 )Other cities (Per Month) only if the hostel is not available in the University/College.
- In Grade 1 cities: 5,000
- In other cities: 4,500
- Contingent Grant (per annum)
- Undergraduate: 5,000
- Postgraduate: 7,000
- M/Phil / Ph.D. and M.Tech./ME: 12,500
- Postdoctoral studies: 15,500
- Tuition Fee/Other Compulsory Fee As per actual (excluding refundable amount)
- Thesis and dissertation expenses (Once in the entire duration of course)
- D. Scholar: 10,000
- For BBA/BCA/MBA/MCA/M.Tech. and other course required submission of Project should be duly certified by Head of Department: 000
- Medical Benefits
- Under the scheme students are expected to seek treatment only at medical centre or dispensary attached to universities / Institutes where they enrolled or in the nearest Government hospital: Bill is settled as admissible according to AMA/CGHS norms.
Application Deadline: Closed