The Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) has advertised a series of master and doctoral scholarships for students working on topics related to planning and land governance.
AAPS was founded in 1999 with the purpose of improving the quality and visibility of planning pedagogy, research and practice in Africa, and promoting planning education advocating ethical, sustainable, multicultural, gender-sensitive, and participatory planning practice.
- Application Deadline: May 31, 2018
- Course Level: Scholarships are available to pursue Master and Doctoral degree programme.
- Study Subject: Applications may come from the subject areas of land administration and management, land economics, natural resource economics, environmental economics, development economics, real estate development and management, environmental law, development studies, urban and regional planning, urban development and management, geomatics (GIS & Surveying), geography, natural resource management, agriculture economics and other land-related fields with strong relevance to national development.
- The scholarships at KNUST are available in the following programmes:
- MPhil Planning (by research)
- MPhil Development Studies (by research)
- PhD Planning (by research)
- PhD Development Studies (by research)
- Scholarship Award: The scholarship covers:
|Item||Amount in EUR|
|Tuition fees||the regularly charged amount|
|Study and research allowance||Master: 460,00 per year
PhD: 920,00 per year
|Printing allowance||1.025,00 in the last six months of studies|
(Accommodation, Food etc.)
|Master In-Country: 355,00
Master In-Region: 400,00
PhD In-Country: 500,00
PhD In-Region: 555,00
|Travel allowance (In-Region only)||The flat rate travel allowance will be specified in the letter of award|
|Insurance||Standard tariff; if applicable an equivalent of EUR 69,- per month, refund upon request and presentation of an original receipt of payment|
- Nationality: African students are eligible to apply.
- Number of Scholarships: It has been agreed upon that DAAD cooperates with KNUST by offering up to two scholarships for Master studies and up to four for scholarships for PhD studies at KNUST for the intake 2018.
- Scholarship can be taken in Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), Kumasi, Ghana
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: Africa students are eligible to apply.
Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Ivory Coast, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Western Sahara, Zambia and Zimbabwe
Entrance Requirements: To be eligible for this scholarship you must meet the following requirements:
- Must be preselected by KNUST according to DAAD selection criteria;
- Have successfully completed generally a three-year university degree (Master candidates) or a two-year university degree (doctoral candidates) with above average results (upper third of class);
- Clearly, show motivation and strong commitment;
- Have the thorough knowledge of the language of instruction;
- Have completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application;
- Must be nationals or permanent resident of an African country;
- Should generally be a) staff member of a public university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector or d) DAFI-Alumni (Albert Einstein German Academic Refugee Initiative).
English Language Requirements: Have the thorough knowledge of the language of instruction.
How to Apply: Apply online via the DAAD-Portal under the tab “Personal Funding“/ “Application“
Documents to be submitted:
- DAAD application form duly filled (available in the DAAD-Portal);
- Hand signed curriculum vitae (please use the European specimen form at http://europass.cedefop. Europa.eu), including a list of publications (if applicable);
- Recommendation letter by university teachers (Master 1, PhD 2);
- Letter of admission to the Host University/ institution/network;
- Certified copies of university degree certificates including transcripts;
- Letter of motivation (if applicable: mentioning the planned research stay in Germany, see “Additional benefits”);
- Copy of the passport
- PhD candidates must submit the following additional documents:
- Declaration of acceptance from the academic supervisor;
- Detailed and precise PhD proposal, including detailed work and timetable (if applicable: mentioning the planned research stay in Germany, see “Additional benefits”)