Do you have a dream to become commissioned officers in any branch of the armed services of the United States? Apply for the Texas Armed Services program to achieve your career goal.
The award is open to students from the State of Texas who are committed to education and service, and also are on track to graduate high school in a Distinguished Achievement Program or International Baccalaureate program.
Nice offer for Texas State students to get financial support for a college education.
User Review( votes)
The program goals to inspire students to become a Texas Army National Guard, Texas Air National Guard, Texas State Guard, United States Coast Guard or United States Merchant Marine members.
The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board oversees all public post-secondary education in the state. It is an agency of the U.S. state of Texas’s government that founded on 10 May 1998.
Application Deadline: October 15, 2021 (Open mid-September each year)
- University or Organization: Texas A&M University
- Department: Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board
- Course Level: Any
- Award: Lesser of $10,000 or an amount not to exceed the student’s cost of attendance
- Access Mode: Online
- Number of Awards: NA
- Nationality: US Citizen
- The award can be taken in the United States
To be eligible, the applicants must
- Be appointed by the governor, lieutenant governor, state senator or state representative
- Enrol in a Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) or another undergraduate officer commissioning program while enrolled in the institution, as certified by the institution
- The complete school initiated TASSP application by October 15, 2021
- Agree to
- complete four years of ROTC training or the equivalent of four years of ROTC training if the institution awards ROTC credit for prior service in any branch of the U.S. Armed Services or the Texas Armed National Guard, Texas Air National Guard, Texas State Guard, United States Coast Guard, or United States Merchant Marine, or another undergraduate officer commissioning program
- graduate no later than six years after the date first enrolled
- After graduation, enter into
- a four-year commitment to be a member of the Texas Army National Guard, Texas Air National Guard, Texas State Guard, United States Coast Guard, or United States Merchant Marine or
- contract to serve as a commissioned officer in any branch of the armed services of the United States
- Repay the program if the requirements are not met
- Meet the satisfactory academic progress requirements set by the institution
How to Apply
To Apply: Applicants are required to follow and complete the given steps:
- Step 1: Students will need to be selected by a Texas senator or representative or the lieutenant governor or governor. If you are interested in this program, must meet the program requirements, you should contact your legislator for more information. Students may locate their legislator by visiting, Who Represents Me. To contact the governor’s office; a student may call the Appointments Office at 512-463-1828 or visit the office’s web page, Governor’s Appointment Responsibility.
- Step 2: Once you decide upon the higher education institution and corresponding ROTC program in which you will enrol, you will take your Notice of Selection to the institution’s financial aid office.
- Step 3: The financial aid officer will certify your program eligibility to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. Because program eligibility requirements include that you be enrolled in the institution and in the ROTC program at that institution, the financial aid office cannot provide their eligibility certification before those two criteria are met.
- Step 4: Once the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board receives the institution’s eligibility certification, you will receive an email requesting you to complete your Texas Armed Services application at Loans Online.
- Step 5: The Texas Armed Services application must be completed by October 15, 2021, or the legislator can provide an alternate nominee.
- Entry Requirements: Applicants must have a high school GPA of 3.0 or higher and achieved a college readiness SAT score of 1070 or ACT – 23
- The amount of the award will be less than $ 10,000 or the amount that does not exceed the cost of student attendance will be less than the total amount given to a student for that academic year.
- A student can get an award for four of the six years allowed for graduation.