The Government of India awards Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship for students with disabilities to pursue higher education leading to degrees such as M. Phil. and PhD. The scheme caters a total number of 200 Fellowship [Junior Research Fellows (JRF)] per year.
This will not only enable them to be eligible for employment to the posts of Lecturers lying vacant in various colleges and universities but will equip them to effectively take advantage of the growing opportunities at the national and international level in the context of the new economic order.
The Government of India has launched a Central Sector scheme namely, Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship (RGNF) to increase opportunities for students with disabilities for pursuing higher education leading to degrees such as M. Phil. and PhD.
Course Level: Fellowships are available for pursuing higher education leading to degrees such as M. Phil. and PhD.
Study Subject(s): Fellowships are awarded in all subjects.
The award can be taken in India
- Any student with disabilities who has been admitted to M.Phil./Ph.D. degree in a University or academic institution by completing the required formalities for admission in that University or academic institution is eligible for the award of Fellowship, subject to provision of the scheme as per the advertisement of UGC. The candidate must get himself/herself registered for M.Phil/PhD at the first available opportunity but not later than within a period of two years from the receipt of the award letter. This period is not extendable. However, the actual payment of fellowship will be made with effect from the date of joining only.
- After two years, if the progress in the research works of the awardee is found satisfactory, his/her tenure will be extended for a further period of three years as Senior Research Fellowship (SRF). The research work will be assessed by a three-member committee set up by the University. The committee will consist of the Supervisor, Head of the Department and one outside expert in the subject. JRF may be terminated in case the progress of the candidate is not found satisfactory by the committee. The SRF shall be sanctioned on year to year basis on the recommendation of the Supervisor of the candidate duly accepted/rejected by the Head of the Department and finally approved by the Vice-Chancellor. The total period of award of JRF and SRF shall not exceed a period of five years. The fellowship is paid from the date of registration of the students in the M.Phil./Ph.D. course.
- The students with disabilities once considered eligible for the fellowship shall not be entitled to any other benefits from the Central or State Government or any other body like UGC offering a similar benefit to avoid duplication and increase coverage. Only those doing regular and full-time M.Phil./Ph.D. course of a University/Research Institution shall be eligible for the fellowship. Employees of any University/College/Educational Institution/Central/State/UT Government shall be excluded from availing Fellowship, even if they are on Study Leave or EOL to pursue the M.Phil./Ph.D. course.
Nationality: Indian applicants are eligible to apply for these fellowships.
How to Apply
How to Apply: Applicants may take admission by filling the online registration form with required documents such as:
- Cover letter
- Academic transcripts
- Citizenship of India
- Fellowship (For All Subjects): @ Rs.16,000/- per month for the initial two years (JRF), @ Rs. 18,000/- per month for the remaining tenure (SRF).
- Contingency (For Humanities, Social Sciences and Commerce): @ Rs.10,000/- per annum for initial two years, @ Rs.20,500/- per annum for remaining three years.
- Contingency (For Sciences and Engineering & Technology): @Rs.12000/-p.a. for initial two years and @Rs.25000/-p.a. for remaining tenure
- Departmental Assistance [Discontinued as per the pattern of e-payment towards RGNF-SC/ST and MANF]: @ Rs.3,000/- p.a. per student to the host institution for providing infrastructure.
- Escorts / Reader Assistance: @ Rs.2,000/- per month in case of physically and visually challenged candidates.
- HRA: As per University / Institution rules.
Application Deadline: Closed