The Japan ICU Foundation now wishes to invite applications for its United States Scholars Initiative for the academic year 2019. The initiative will provide full-tuition support for four years of undergraduate study at ICU.
The United States Scholars Initiative (USSI) aims to increase the number of international, degree-seeking undergraduate students from the United States at ICU.
User Review( votes)
The Japan ICU Foundation is a public charity based in New York City committed to supporting International Christian University’s global and ecumenical programs.
- Applications Deadline: December 1, 2018
- Course Level: These opportunities are available to pursue an undergraduate degree.
- Study Subject: These opportunities are awarded in the field of language and the liberal arts.
- Award: This merit-based support will provide full-tuition support for four years of undergraduate study at ICU.
- Number of Awards: Two opportunities are available.
- Nationality: United States applicants
- The award can be taken in Japan
- Eligible Countries: United States applicants are eligible for these endowments.
- Entrance Requirements: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the opportunity
- United States citizen
- Will graduate from U.S. high school
- Strong interest in Japan and the Japanese language
- Interest in liberal arts education
- Single with no dependents
- English Language Requirements: Applicants must have to submit either a TOEFL or IELTS score.
Please make sure that you have all the necessary documents listed under the “Required Documents” tab. You will be able to upload all necessary documents through the application portal.
Document Screening & Interviews
Once you have submitted your application, it will be reviewed by our document screening team.
A shortlisted group of successful candidates will be invited for interviews (either in-person or via skype) in January 2018.
Application to ICU
The shortlisted applicants will apply to ICU in January 2018. Most of the necessary documents have already been submitted to JICUF, so this process should not be difficult. JICUF staff will also assist the application process if necessary.
Admission to ICU
The results will be announced by ICU in February 2019. Immediately after acceptance, the program recipients will commit to study at ICU.
- Application form
- Personal statement (400-500 words) on why you would like to study at ICU, and what your plans are after graduation
- Short essay (400-500 words)
- Copy of transcript (last 3 years of secondary school)
- Educational certification (SAT with essay, ACT plus writing or, IB full diploma)
- 2 letters of recommendation (One from HS principal, guidance counselor, tutor or IB coordinator; one from a HS instructor who has taught a core academic subject eg. English, SS, math, science, foreign language)
- If you have graduated from a U.S. high school but have NOT spent the last continuous six years at an institution in which English is the language of instruction, you will need to submit either a TOEFL or IELTS score.