Do you want to explore the relations between technology, security, and nature conservation and their political consequences in Kenya and East Africa? Are you interested in working at the intersection of Human Geography and Science and Technology Studies? Apply for the PhD Positions in Nature Securities the Techno-Securitisation of Nature Conservation in Kenya and East Africa for the academic year 2022/2023.
PhD candidate will conduct ethnographic fieldwork in Kenya or East Africa and write a PhD thesis on the social and political consequences of techno-securitization practices in wildlife and nature conservation programmes. You will be expected to write an article-based dissertation within four years and contribute to the department’s teaching activities at the Bachelor’s and Master’s levels. Your teaching load is 120 hours per year for the first three years.
Great chance for international students to complete PhD studies in the Netherlands.
User Review( votes)
Established in 1923, Radboud University is a public research university in Nijmegen, Netherlands. It has consistently been included in the top 150 universities in the world by four major university ranking tables. It is organized into seven faculties that offer programs and courses in the humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, medical sciences, law, management, philosophy, theology, and religious studies. Radboud University enrolls over 22.000 students in about one hundred study programs (about 50 bachelor’s and 50 master’s programs)
Why choose to study at Radboud University? At Radboud University, they welcome and embrace all nationalities, cultures, and backgrounds; there is an open atmosphere and ample possibility for face-to-face contact with teachers and researchers. Together we will achieve the mission of contributing to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for everyone. You will learn to think about important issues and prepare well for your future. Radboud students have given the substantive expertise of our lecturers an extremely high rating, namely 4.4 out of 5. It was ranked 101 in the Academic Ranking of the World. With their better teaching methodologies, highly qualified professors and lecturers provide the ideal learning environment for students.
Application Deadline: Applications must be received by 18 September 2022.
- University or Organization: Radboud University
- Department: NA
- Course Level: PhD
- Award: € 3,247
- Number of Awards: N/A
- Access Mode: Online
- Nationality: Kenya or East Africa
- The award can be taken in the Netherlands
- Eligible Countries: All nationalities.
- Eligible Course or Subjects: PhD degree in human or environmental geography, anthropology, political ecology, science and technology offered by the university.
- Eligibility Criteria: To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the following criteria:
- You have a demonstrated research interest in wildlife and environmental conservation and security practices.
- Knowledge of East African languages (particularly Kiswahili) and familiarity with the context are advantages.
- You have experience in conducting ethnographic research.
- You can work independently and flexibly, taking the initiative where needed.
- You can communicate and collaborate effectively in a team setting.
- You are interested in and committed to teaching and supervising Bachelor’s students.
How to Apply
- How to Apply: Interested candidates are required to follow the application procedure of the university. After that, applicants must submit an online job application form. For questions about the position, please contact Francesco Colona, Assistant Professor of Geography of Conflict, at [email protected].
- Supporting Documents: Attach the following documents:
- A letter of motivation.
- Your CV includes the names and contact details of two academic references (one of which should be, preferably, your MA thesis supervisor).
- A 1500-word research proposal in which you elaborate on how you envision approaching the research project.
- Your MA thesis or another academic writing sample.
- Admission Requirements: The applicants must have a master’s or research master’s degree in human or environmental geography, anthropology, political ecology, science and technology studies, or related discipline.
- Language Requirement: Applicants must have excellent oral and writing skills in English, as demonstrated in a thesis or other publications, or knowledge of East African languages (particularly Kiswahili), and familiarity with the context is an advantage.
The Radboud University will provide all the following benefits:
- It concerns employment for 1.0 FTE.
- The gross starting salary amounts to €2,541 per month based on a 38-hour working week and will increase to €3,247 in the fourth year (salary scale P).
- You will receive an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- You will be employed for an initial period of 18 months, after which your performance will be evaluated. If the evaluation is positive, the contract will be extended by 2.5 years (4-year contract).
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services. Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labor market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Working for us means getting extra days off. In the case of full-time employment, you can choose between 29 or 41 days of annual leave instead of the legally allotted 20.