The Department of Historical, Philosophical and Religious Studies is looking for a postdoctoral researcher in Theology (with any of the focus areas: Biblical Studies, Systematic Theology, Philosophy of Religion, Historical or Practical Theology). The employment period is two years full-time.
Umeå University is a university in Umeå in the mid-northern region of Sweden. The university was founded in 1965 and is the fifth oldest within Sweden’s present borders. As of 2015, Umeå University has nearly 31,000 registered students, including those at the postgraduate and doctoral level
Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
- Application Deadline: April 1, 2019
- Course Level: Positions are available for pursuing postdoctoral programme.
- Study Subject: The postdoc is expected to conduct independent theological research. In addition to research, part of the job consists in contributing to the research environment by actively participating in the theological research seminar and other research activities. Certain administrative tasks related to research activities might occur.
- Scholarship Award: Salaries are paid on a monthly basis according to the established salary level for doctoral employment.
- Nationality: Invite is open to International students.
- Number of Scholarships: Not given
- Scholarship can be taken in Sweden
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: This scholarship is open to International students.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- A person who has been awarded a doctorate or a foreign qualification deemed to be the equivalent of a doctorate shall be qualified for employment as a postdoctoral researcher. For this position, a doctoral degree in Theology, or the equivalent, is required. A precondition is that the applicant has not previously been employed as a Postdoc at Umeå University for more than a year within the same or equivalent discipline. Priority should be given to candidates who have completed their doctoral degree no more than three years before the closing date of the application. A candidate who has completed their degree prior to this time period may be taken into consideration if special circumstances exist. Special circumstances include absence due to illness, parental leave or clinical practice, appointments of trust in trade union organizations or similar circumstances.
- Both good writing and oral communication skills in English as well as good ability to work with others are requirements for this position.
- In the assessment of candidates, special importance will primarily be given to the scientific merits of the candidates and then to the quality and feasibility of the research plan. In assessing the feasibility of the research plan, importance will be given to how well the research proposed fits with the research environment in Theology at the department, and to the degree to which the research competence already available at the department would support this research (a description of the research environment can be found here).
English Language Requirements: Students must have very good language skills in English, both spoken and written, is required.
How to Apply: The application should include the following documents in English or Swedish:
- (1) A letter of interest that states the candidate’s motivation for applying for the present position and briefly explains how the research project proposed can benefit from the research competence available at the department (1-2 pp)
- (2) Curriculum Vitae and validated copies of degree certificates (date of thesis defense and its title, current and previous positions, grants, awards, research collaborations)
- (3) A full publication list with electronic copies of 3-5 of the most relevant works, the thesis included
- (4) A research plan that describes the research that the candidate intends to do during the employment as postdoc (3-5 pp)
- (5) A list of 2-3 reference persons including their positions and contact details